On Aug 2, 5:58 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I understand what you're saying.  I just don't see any reason to believe it.

You were summing up my position as including

>>(although of course it would be it would be
>> much more efficient to actually use molecules instead of computationally
>> simulating them).

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that you could possibly simulate human
consciousness using different molecules and cells, but not simulating
them computationally. A computational simulation implies that it is
substance independent, which obviously biological life and the
conscious feelings that are associated with it are not. If you do a
computational simulation through a similar material that the brain is
made of, then you have something similar to a brain. The idea of pure
computation independent of some physical medium is not something we
should take for granted. It seems like a completely outrageous fantasy
to me. Why would such a thing be any more plausible than ghosts or
magic?

Craig