On 8/3/2011 11:13 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I don't take it for granted. But I can imagine building an intelligent robot that acts in every way like a person. And I know that I could replace his computer brain for a different one, built with different materials and using different physics, that computed the same programs without changing its behavior. Now you deny that this robot is conscious because its brain isn't made of proteins and water and neurons - but I could replace part of the computer with a computer made of some protein and water and some neurons; which according to you would then make the robot conscious. This seems to me to be an unjustified inference. If it acts conscious with the wet brain and it acted the same before, with the computer chip brain, then I infer that it was probably conscious before.

Do I conclude that it experiences consciousness exactly as I do? No, I think that it might depend on how its programming is implement, e.g. LISP might produce different experience than FORTRAN or whether there are asynchronous hardware modules. I'm not sure how Bruno's theory applies to this since he looks at the problem from a level where all computation is equivalent modulo Church-Turing.

This is highly ambiguous. Obviously comp does not make all computation equivalent. What happens in my head is not equivalent of what happens in your head. Comp is just the statement that there is a level where I am digitally emulable. Church thesis is used only for making "digitally emulable" mathematically defininable. Then it is proved that comp implies that below my substitution level *all* universal machine competes, and there is a big set of equivalent computations (in the sense that I could not distinguish them from a first person perspective).

I think you conclude that any Lobian machine is conscious (at some level). So what would be your guess, would two Mars Rovers programmed for identical behavior, but one running a LISP program and the other a JAVA program have the same conscious experience? Would it make a difference if one ran on AMD and one on Intel? I'd guess not. But I think it would make a difference if one used several chips running asynchronously and the other used only a one CPU, or if one had seismic sensors and the other IR sensors.