On 8/2/2011 2:33 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Aug 2, 4:04 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 8/2/2011 12:43 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
So now you agree that a simulation of a brain at the molecular level
would suffice to produce consciousness (although of course it would be
much more efficient to actually use molecules instead of computationally
simulating them).   This would be a good reason to say 'no' to the
doctor, since even though you could simulate the molecules and their
interactions, quantum randomness would prevent you from controlling
their interactions with the molecules in the rest of your brain. Bruno's argument would still go through, but the 'doctor' might have to
replace not only your brain but a big chunk of the universe with which
it interacts.  However, most people who have read Tegmark's paper
understand that the brain must be essentially classical as a computer
and so a simulation, even one of molecules, could be quasi-classical,
i.e. local.
I'm saying that the closer you get to simulating everything that a
human brain actually is, rather than what we assume is it's
'function', the closer you are going to get to a human equivalent

I understand what you're saying.  I just don't see any reason to believe it.

You might be able to cut some corners to achieve
certain attributes but you might also lose other attributes which may
not even be known yet. When I'm talking about getting down to the
cellular, genetic, or molecular level though, I'm talking about
replacing them with alternate physical materials designed by
computers, not abstract machine calculations themselves running on
silicon or some other platform.