On Aug 16, 1:44 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 8/16/2011 10:16 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> > It's not only possible, it absolutely is otherwise. I move my arm. I
> > determine the biochemical reactions that move it. Me. For my personal
> > reasons which are knowable to me in my own natural language and are
> > utterly unknowable by biochemical analysis. It's hard for me to accept
> > that you cannot see the flaw in this reasoning.
>
> It's not a flaw in his reasoning, it's description at a different
> level.  While it is no doubt true that you, the whole you, determine to
> move your arm; it seems not to be the case that the *conscious* you does
> so.  Various experiments starting with Libet show that the biochemical
> reactions that move it occur before you are conscious of the decision to
> move it.

You make the decision before the reporting part of you can report it
is all. It's still you that is consciously making the decision. It's
just because we are applying naive realism to how the self works and
assuming that the narrative voice which accompanies consciousness and
can answer questions or push buttons is the extent of consciousness.

If moving my arm is like reading a book, I can't tell you what the
book is about until I actually have read it, but I still am initiating
the reading of the book, and not the book forcing me to read it.

Craig