On 07 Sep 2011, at 21:04, meekerdb wrote:

On 9/7/2011 7:36 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
That seems to me to be a gratuitous affirmation. Even today computers inherit from a long history, and they evolve quickly (with or despite humans, that is not entirely clear: today the humans do not want intelligent machines. I am not sure they even want intelligent children; intelligence is always a threat for authorities).

We want children who are a little smarter than us and so can answer the questions that have troubled us. Remember Feynman's account of how, after he had gotten his PhD, his father asked him a question about electrons. Feynman sadly recalls that he wasn't able to answer it in a way his father could understand.

I was thinking more about the constant decrease in the math curriculum at school, or thing like the lasting prohibition which illustrate terribly the lack of teaching in elementary math and logic.

Look at the comment on this game, near this page. Play the game first. It is quite revealing:

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/esp.html