On 9/7/2011 7:36 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
That seems to me to be a gratuitous affirmation. Even today computers inherit from a long history, and they evolve quickly (with or despite humans, that is not entirely clear: today the humans do not want intelligent machines. I am not sure they even want intelligent children; intelligence is always a threat for authorities).

We want children who are a little smarter than us and so can answer the questions that have troubled us. Remember Feynman's account of how, after he had gotten his PhD, his father asked him a question about electrons. Feynman sadly recalls that he wasn't able to answer it in a way his father could understand.