On 09 Sep 2011, at 20:22, meekerdb wrote:

On 9/9/2011 6:40 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
OK. That is the difference between a clone, and a duplicate people. Comp allows duplication of machine instantaneous state, making classical teleportation possible in principle, and this is enough for explaining that physics can't be the fundamental science. The physical reality is an emerging phenomenon (not in time and space, but in some logico-arithmetical space).

This is a difficulty with comp. According to current physics the duplication is impossible because a machine that is distributed in space is also distributed in time and has no "instantaneous" state.

Are you thinking to the non cloning theorem?
The quantum assumption is not a problem for comp, for two reasons:
- starting from the quantum, all you need are the quasi-classical state, that is "same state (or comp equivalent)" in different universes. - starting from digital mechanism, we know matter is not clonable, because matter, as it can appear to us, is only a resulting average or sum of all the computations going below our comp substitution level.

Now this would not particularly concern me since their is also good reason to think the human brain is relatively slow and classical and so to a good approximation has a state.

OK, but even if our mind state was quantum, although no more clonable, it is still generated (or "prepared") in an infinity of identical "exemplars", each cpmputed by variety of different (universal) machine, in the universal deployment (= in the tiny sigma_1 arithmetic). If comp is correct, we are not doing the approximation, but nature did it, or our Löbian mind, at the (logical) start.

I would expect classical teleportation to do no more than a sharp blow to the head - i.e. loss of some seconds worth of short term memory. But then after relying on these classical approximations, you go on to make an argument that consciousness is an infinite class of computations sharing a given state.

Hmm... consciousness is the personal selector of computation(s) among computations. I would not say that consciousness is the class of computation: it is more the background knowledge capable of making sense of the selection of the next states. Consciousness is the state of belief-in-a-reality. Consciousness is the bet in the reality of (W or M), for example, and it makes possible the knowledge of "I am in W" or "I am in M" after the duplication. The class of computations is more like the domain on which bear the first person indeterminacy. Pure consciousness is more like the belief in something invariant in a changing reality, making possible the change of content of consciousness through experience.

 I think there is a certain tension, if not contradiction here.

I am not sure I see it. You might perhaps elaborate.