On Sep 14, 1:34 pm, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

> I would agree that it would easy to obtain thinking provided that
> perception is there. This is though an open question, what does it mean
> perception by a robot. Does for example an automatic door perceive?

Exactly. That's why I think it's helpful to have more of graduated
hierarchy of elaboration, loosely: detection > sense > feeling >
awareness > consciousness. These would correspond roughly to:
molecular, cellular, somatic, neurological, and psychological levels
of perception.

Since neither the sensor or motor of the automatic door has any cells,
it is limited to a molecular level of perception: detection. The
sensor and motor detects what it is design to detect as a simple
binary state change in a group of molecules and passes that state
change on by charging a wire to the motor, which also detects a binary
change in it's group of molecules that it amplifies and induces as
motive force on the molecules of door. There doesn't seem to be
anything else going on except the most primitive form of physical
detection and action. Zero room for interpretation.

If you have a group of plants in a greenhouse, some of them are going
to grow better than others. They sense the light, which we can
intuitively understand by their appearance of thriving or withering.
It seems like something might care whether it's getting what it needs.
Whether it 'feels' or not is along the same lines as asking whether a
plant has a 'body' or not. Then answer, in both cases, I think is
'sort of'. Whatever it has seems to be more than a bucket of ammonia
and less than rabbit. It's a bit blurry what makes a rabbit seem more
like it has a body and 'feels more' than a plant, and indeed there is
no way to know for sure, but I think it's reasonable to go with the
gut feeling that if I run over a rabbit I would feel worse than
running over a plant and I wouldn't feel anything about running over a
piece of metal.

Craig