On 9/15/2011 9:08 PM meekerdb said the following:
On 9/15/2011 11:40 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
I personally do not see a difference in this respect between a
cell, for example, and a robot. On my hierarchy list

http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2011/01/perception-feedback-and-qualia.html

a bacteria is closer to a ballcock than a Big Dog. I would say that
 Big Dog actually already even more advanced than a bacteria.

Not until Big Dog can get it's own fuel and produce Little Dogs.

Yes, but I have meant perception only. Well, one could say that a bacteria perceives that it is time to divide and Big Dog cannot perceive something like this. In my current world view however "a bacteria divides" is closer to a ballcock that closes the water. I mean that division of a bacteria is probably based on some feedback mechanism as well.

Here though there is an interesting question. After all, one can implement a PID controller with analog electronics, so this way it is very close to a ballcock as well. Hence when I state that Big Dog more advanced there is some contradiction indeed, as finally it is just a collections of feedback mechanisms. Or digital processing as such gives us something new as compared with a ballcock?

Evgenii