On 9/14/2011 3:04 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Sep 14, 3:16 pm, Evgenii Rudnyi<use...@rudnyi.ru>  wrote:

Even a better example would be Big Dog:

Here it would be hard to say that Big Dog does not perceive. Yet the
question remains if this perception still unconscious, or one already
can find some elements of conscious perception.
I would say that there is still no perceiver in Big Dog. There are
sophisticated algorithms coordinating it's input and outputs, but
there is no experience of those algorithms. Whatever map it constructs
is primitive, generic, and bearing only superficial resemblance to the
world which we observe it interacting.

And what resemblance is there between the world you observe and I observe or a tiger observes. Big Dog's map is based on GPS so it probably knows where it is and which way is north better than you do.

It doesn't care where it goes
or whether or not it has to struggle to walk.

You presume to much. I'd bet it does 'care'. It certainly doesn't try to go through tree trunks.

Since it is designed
specifically to simulate familiar actions of a quadruped, it plays on
our HADD and prognosia sympathies, not much different from a stuffed
animal, just to a greater extent.

Like our sympathies for featherless bipeds.

Then we can ask ourselves the same for insects, and finally go onward
along the tree of life.
Insects have a nervous system but made of few neurons. My guess is
that their qualia is orders of magnitude less significant than our own
as a rule of thumb, but some insects might, just as some mammals might
accumulate more significant qualia through experience than others. A
nervous system I think, functions as an organism within an organism,
which might be a minimum requirement for awareness of awareness
(consciousness). It's probably a pretty shallow consciousness, not
enough that would even get our attention. Their own lives might not
matter very much to them, but more than a cell, and much more than a

So why can't you admit as much about a computer like Watson. It's an order of magnitude more complex than an insect nervous system. Oh yeah, I forgot --- it's not made of the right stuff.