On 9/15/2011 12:20 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 9/15/2011 9:08 PM meekerdb said the following:
On 9/15/2011 11:40 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
I personally do not see a difference in this respect between a
cell, for example, and a robot. On my hierarchy list

http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2011/01/perception-feedback-and-qualia.html

a bacteria is closer to a ballcock than a Big Dog. I would say that
 Big Dog actually already even more advanced than a bacteria.

Not until Big Dog can get it's own fuel and produce Little Dogs.

Yes, but I have meant perception only. Well, one could say that a bacteria perceives that it is time to divide and Big Dog cannot perceive something like this. In my current world view however "a bacteria divides" is closer to a ballcock that closes the water. I mean that division of a bacteria is probably based on some feedback mechanism as well.

Here though there is an interesting question. After all, one can implement a PID controller with analog electronics, so this way it is very close to a ballcock as well. Hence when I state that Big Dog more advanced there is some contradiction indeed, as finally it is just a collections of feedback mechanisms. Or digital processing as such gives us something new as compared with a ballcock?

Evgenii

Producing Little Dogs is not just a test of complexity. Evolution teaches us that it is the fundamental source of all value. An organism must value what aids growth and reproduction. Organisms that don't cease to exist. We humans tend to lose sight of this because culture provides so many layers to be manipulated. But even language and reason may have evolved as a way of talking your sweetheart into bed.