On 9/15/2011 9:52 PM meekerdb said the following:
On 9/15/2011 12:20 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 9/15/2011 9:08 PM meekerdb said the following:
On 9/15/2011 11:40 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
I personally do not see a difference in this respect between a
cell, for example, and a robot. On my hierarchy list

http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2011/01/perception-feedback-and-qualia.html

a bacteria is closer to a ballcock than a Big Dog. I would say that
Big Dog actually already even more advanced than a bacteria.

Not until Big Dog can get it's own fuel and produce Little Dogs.

Yes, but I have meant perception only. Well, one could say that a
bacteria perceives that it is time to divide and Big Dog cannot
perceive something like this. In my current world view however "a
bacteria divides" is closer to a ballcock that closes the water. I
 mean that division of a bacteria is probably based on some
feedback mechanism as well.

Here though there is an interesting question. After all, one can
implement a PID controller with analog electronics, so this way it
is very close to a ballcock as well. Hence when I state that Big
Dog more advanced there is some contradiction indeed, as finally it
is just a collections of feedback mechanisms. Or digital processing
as such gives us something new as compared with a ballcock?

Evgenii

Producing Little Dogs is not just a test of complexity. Evolution
teaches us that it is the fundamental source of all value. An
organism must value what aids growth and reproduction. Organisms that
don't cease to exist. We humans tend to lose sight of this because
culture provides so many layers to be manipulated. But even language
and reason may have evolved as a way of talking your sweetheart into
bed.

Brent

Well, first a small quote:

"For the good fit between conscious experience and outside reality, the idealist philosopher Berkley called in God. In this more materialist age, it is Evolution that we must thank."

And now is the question. What is difference between "Evolution teaches us" and "God teaches us"?

Evgenii