On Sep 26, 2011, at 6:31 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 7:45 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
An interesting talk relevant to what constitutes an "observer moment".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VQ1KI_Jh1Q&NR=1

Even if the experience is smeared out over time

I think it is clear with mechanism that this is the case. Imagine an AI with a single CPU. Here it is obvious that it's state extends through the dimension of time. With the parallel processing of the brain it is less, but still much greater than a Planck time.

and has a complex
relationship to real world events it could still be the case that it
can be cut up arbitrarily.

Perhaps arbitrarily in the sense of distinct observer moments, but I don't think so about time.

There is no way I can be sure the world was
not created a microsecond ago

Consider how many CPU cycles are required for the AI to become aware. Even if you think it becomes conscious as soon as the first instruction is executed, the instruction takes some amount of time to complete.

If it takes the brain 100 ms to compute a moment of awareness, then you can know you were not created 1 microsecond ago.

Jason

and there is no way I can be sure there
isn't a million year gap between subjective seconds.

--
Stathis Papaioannou