On 9/27/2011 3:55 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Sep 26, 2011, at 6:31 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 7:45 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
An interesting talk relevant to what constitutes an "observer moment".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VQ1KI_Jh1Q&NR=1

Even if the experience is smeared out over time

I think it is clear with mechanism that this is the case. Imagine an AI with a single CPU. Here it is obvious that it's state extends through the dimension of time. With the parallel processing of the brain it is less, but still much greater than a Planck time.

Even assuming signals at c the brain extends about a nano-second in time, 22 orders of magnitude longer than the Planck time.

But doesn't this create problems for Bruno's argument, which assumes states are timeless, instant like things in Platonia and that they have no overlap. Should we identify observer moments with bundles of UD computations going thru the same state, but also with extensions of those computations forward and backward over some number of states? But they are not the same forward and backward. Or do we require that the "substitution level" be pushed down to time slices short compared to a nano-second so that an observer moment will be a whole set of states extending over a short time. In which case the sequence of states will pick out a much smaller set of UD computations that went thru all those states.

Brent

and has a complex
relationship to real world events it could still be the case that it
can be cut up arbitrarily.

Perhaps arbitrarily in the sense of distinct observer moments, but I don't think so about time.

There is no way I can be sure the world was
not created a microsecond ago

Consider how many CPU cycles are required for the AI to become aware. Even if you think it becomes conscious as soon as the first instruction is executed, the instruction takes some amount of time to complete.

If it takes the brain 100 ms to compute a moment of awareness, then you can know you were not created 1 microsecond ago.

Jason

and there is no way I can be sure there
isn't a million year gap between subjective seconds.

--
Stathis Papaioannou