On Sep 29, 2011, at 8:12 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

If it takes the brain 100 ms to compute a moment of awareness, then you can
know you were not created 1 microsecond ago.

Suppose your brain paused for 1 us every 99 ms. To an external
observer you would be functioning normally; do you think you would be
a philosophical zombie? We can change the thought experiment to make
the pauses and the duration of consciousness between the pauses
arbitrarily long, effectively cutting up consciousness however we
want, even if a conscious moment is smeared out over time.

I think you missed what I was attempting to say.

I agree that it would function normally with the introduction of pauses. Let's say the brain was uploaded and on a computer. The scheduler would do a context switch to let another process run. This would not affect the brain or create a zombie. We could even pause the brain, send it over the wire to another computer and execute it there, without a problem.

What I think would be problematic is starting a brain simulation without any prior computational history. I think it might take some minimum amount of time (computation) before that brain could be aware of anything.

Jason

--
Stathis Papaioannou