On 10/27/2011 3:26 PM, Nick Prince wrote:
[SPK]
   Are we sure that this ordering, at the level of the state vectors,
really matters? We are, after all, only considering observables that
mutually commute and thus ordering should be irrelevant.

[NP]

Hi Stephen.  I stressed the order because it is how the cat perceives
events and therefore how, from the first person POV the cat feels like
his bundle of worlds which are originally identical (fungible) are
becoming different - but not all at once

[SPK]
    It seems to me that we have to take the environment of the system
into account, so we have to have a {environment>  in the equation, no?
  From what I can tell, cul de sac's would have 3p consequences that
would have an effect on the distribution of branches. Maybe we should
consider what effect the 'rest of the universe' has on the 1p of the cat.
[NP]
I agree that the environment needs to be factored in. Especially to
ensure the worlds quickly decohere.

But you don't need the environment. The cat itself, or even just the cats brain, even just a neuron in the cat's brain already has an enormous number of states and will decohere almost instantly, i.e. the brain is essentially a classical object. What you need is a better theory of being a cat instead of just |alive cat> or |dead cat>

Brent

I need to think about your comment on consequences  - it is an
interesting point and I'd like to pick it
  up again when I've had chance to consider it.  Thank you for that.

Nick