On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/14/2011 10:40 AM, Joseph Knight wrote:
>

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Kim Jones <kimjo...@ozemail.com.au>wrote:
>
>> Any chance someone might précis for me/us dummies out here in maybe 3
>> sentences what Tim Maudlin's argument is? Nothing too heavy - just a quick
>> refresher.
>>
>>   I'll try, but with a few more than 3 sentences. Suppose the
> consciousness of a machine can be said to supervene on the running of some
> program X. We can have a machine run the program but only running a
> constant program Y that gives the same output as X for one given input. In
> other words, it cannot "handle" counterfactual inputs because it is just a
> constant program that does the same thing no matter what. Surely such a
> machine is not conscious. It would be like, if I decided "I will answer A B
> D B D D C A C..." in response to the Chemistry test I am about to run off
> and take, and happened to get them all correct, I wouldn't really know
> Chemistry, right?
>

> But I think Russell has reasonably questioned this.  You say X wouldn't
> know chemistry.  But that's a matter of intelligence, not necessarily
> consciousness.  We already know that computers can be intelligent, and
> there's nothing mysterious about intelligence "supervening" on machines.
> Intelligence includes returning appropriate outputs for many different
> inputs.  But does consciousness?

I was really just using my Chemistry test as an imperfect analogy to the
machine running Y being conscious (or not), so it doesn't affect the rest
of the argument. But I see your point. Would you argue that a constant
program (giving the same output no matter the input) can be conscious in
principle? Maudlin assumes that such a program cannot be conscious, in his
words, "it would make a mockery of the computational theory of mind." I am
agnostic. In my opinion the Filmed Graph argument is more convincing than
Maudlin, because with Maudlin one can still fall back to the position
"consciousness can in principle supervene on a constant program".

(For those interested, here is the article
itself<http://www.finney.org/~hal/maudlin.pdf>
)