On 29.01.2012 00:42 Russell Standish said the following:
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 12:05:57PM +0100, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

In general we are surrounded devices that store information (hard
discs, memory sticks, DVD, etc.). The information that these
devices can store, I believe, is known with accuracy to one bit.

Because they're engineered that way. It would be rather inconvenient
if one's information storage varied with temperature.

Can you suggest a thermodynamic state which entropy gives us
exactly that amount of information?

Here would be again a question about temperature. If I operate my
memory stick in some reasonable range of temperatures, the
information it contains does not change. Yet, the entropy in my
view changes.

Sure - because they're engineered that way, and they operate a long
way from the theoretical maximum storage capability of that matter.
What's the problem with that?

The problem that I see is that the entropy changes when the temperature changes. Or do you claim that the entropy of the memory stick/DVD/hard disc remains the same when its temperature changes for example from 15 to 25 degrees?

Anyway, I do not see how one can obtain the information capacity of the storage devices from the thermodynamic entropy and this is my point.

Do you claim, that the information capacity for which we pay money of a memory stick/DVD/hard disk is equivalent to the thermodynamic entropy of the device?

Evgenii

So these are my doubts for which I do not see an answer.

Evgenii