On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My view is that the whole idea that there can be a 'functional equivalent
> of emotions' is completely unsupported. I give examples of puppets

A puppet needs a puppeteer, a computer does not.

> movies, trashcans that say THANK YOU, voicemail...all of these things
> demonstrate that there need not be any connection at all between function
> and interior experience.

For all these examples to be effective you would need to know that they do
not have a inner life, and how do you know they don't have a inner life?
You know because they don't behave as if they have a inner life. Behavior
is the only tool we have for detecting such things in others so your
examples are useless.

   John K Clark