On Feb 1, 11:06 am, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012  Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> acw <a...@lavabit.com> wrote:
> >> A digital or analog camera would get similar amounts of noise as the
> >> eye, actually probably less than the eye.
>
> > > Why do you say that? Have you ever taken a photo with the lens cap on? I
> > just looked at my digital camera in my phone and blocked the lens with my
> > hand and there is no noise or snow whatsoever. If I unplug the monitor from
> > my computer but leave it powered on - no snow.

My entire point is that comp suggests that our visual qualia is not an
electronic light detector but a pure abstraction tailored to suit the
semantics of the human intelligence program. Daniel Dennett has his
optical illusions which show how what we see is not what is real that
support his conclusion that qualia is purely representational for the
brain to tell it's stories, this is a contrary example of an optical
non-illusion that shows how what we see can be real even if there is
no reason for it to be available as qualia for our awareness.

> Turn up the gain and guess what, snow! The idea that electronic light
> detectors (or any electronic circuit for that matter, or any biological
> circuit, or any anything) can produce not low noise but no noise whatsoever
> is of course ridiculous,

Go into Photoshop or Paint. File > New > OK. This image (or it's
inverse) is what comp predicts for visual qualia of conditions where
we cannot see. There is no reason to represent anything else, and
there is no noise whatsoever in this image.

> but unlike so many other of your ridiculous
> statements this one is informative. No it tells us nothing about the nature
> of intelligence or consciousness and it certainly contains nothing
> informative about electronics, but it does tell us a lot about the depth of
> your scientific knowledge. Zero.

This kind of ad hominem stuff means Zero to me. Why? Because I know
that you don't understand what I'm talking about. Other people do
though, so I can tell the difference. I on the other hand know exactly
what you are talking about and why your understanding fails to take
the whole reality into account. The more that bothers you, the more I
know that part of you knows I might be right.

Craig