Stephen,

In my mind, autopoeitic cognitive systems (advanced enough to use
symbols to do cognition) do not have a symbol grounding problem. In
these organizationally-closed systems, symbols can only be grounded in
internal patterns - patterns that emerge from the way the world
perturbs its boundaries. As far as I know the only examples of
autopoeitic cognitive systems capable of symbol manipulation are
higher animals... nothing artificial yet.

Terren