On Feb 10, 4:16 pm, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 10, 4:06 am, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why simulated neurons couldn't have opinions at that same point ?
> > Vitalism ?
>
> Yes, the only way Craig could be right is if vitalism is true, and its
> pretty sad that well into the 21'st century some still believe in that
> crap. What's next, bring back medieval alchemy?

Apparently what's next is imagining that machines are people and
people are machines. We'll be imprisoning software soon I suppose.

>  On Fri, Feb 10, 2012  Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > there is no such thing as absolute simulation, there is only imitation.
>
> So not only is a computer incapable of performing arithmetic you can't do
> it either, all you can do is a pale imitation of arithmetic, so neither we
> nor a computer can ever know how much 2 +2 is.

What a computer does is arithmetic to us, but to the computer it's
billions of separate electronic or mechanical events that signify
nothing to it. It's no different from saying that CD player 'performs
music'. We hear music, but the CD player hears nothing at all.
Obviously.

> And I've asked you before,
> when you reply to this please don't send a imitation Email to the list,
> nobody wants to see a mere simulation, send your REAL ORIGINAL EMAIL!

The original email is my subjective experience of composing it,
therefore it cannot be sent. What can be sent is neither a simulation
nor an imitation but rather a completely separate semiotic text which
can be used by human beings to communicate with other human beings who
share a common language. The email server does not share that common
language and cannot participate in the communication, even though it
provides the communication channel.

> Undoubtedly the only reason you haven't convinced everybody of your
> brilliance is that we've only seen copies of you messages, we want the
> originals.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm brilliant, I'm explaining
why the popular ideas and conventional wisdom of the moment are
misguided.

Craig