On 25 Apr 2012, at 20:45, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

As I've posted before, when we know how look at a brain and infer what it's thinking and we know how to build a brain that behaves as we want,
in other words when we can do consciousness engineering, the "hard
problem" will be bypassed as a metaphysical non-question, like "Where
did the elan vital go?"

Brent

This is a position expressed by Jeffrey Gray as follows (he does not share it):

«What looks like a Hard Problem will cease to be one when we have understood the errors in our ways of speaking about the issues involved. If the route were successful, we would rejoin the normal stance: once our head have been straightened out, science could again just get on with the job of filling in the details of empirical knowledge.»

I probably agree more with Gray than with Brent here.
It is simple: by UDA, you will never solve the hard problem of consciousness without solving the hard problem of matter before, at least conceptually. And this change the perspective indeed.

Bruno

Evgenii

http://blog.rudnyi.ru/tag/jeffrey-a-gray