On 27 April 2012 21:16, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> And the EV is supposed to be analgous to qualia? But that paralell
> doens;t work. The EV is dismissable
> because there was never prima facie evidence for it.
>

> Then why was it widely believed to exist?...because somethings were alive
> and other seemingly identical things weren't.

Peter and I are of course making the same point.  I agree that, at the
outset, "life" and "consciousness" display an appealing explanatory
symmetry, in that we can seek an reductive account of both in terms of
constituent processes.  But that apparent symmetry fractures on closer
analysis.  The more that putatively "conscious processes" can be shown
to be so reducible, the more this highlights the explanatory
redundancy of the entire class of first-person phenomena.  In the case
of "life", it is surely obvious that we need anticipate no conceptual
residue after explanatory reduction. But the troublesome resistance of
first-personal phenomena to such reductive elimination is equally
manifest to all who can suppress the urge to bolt for the denialist
exit.

Precisely because this point is indeed so obvious, and because I've
never felt that you are personally of the eliminativist persuasion, I
fail to understand why you persist in presenting the putative
equivalence of these two concepts as though it were unproblematic.
I'm puzzled as to exactly what is your point.  Is it your hope that a
sufficiently sophisticated understanding of the physical correlates of
conscious behaviour will somehow dissolve the presently intractable
distinction between third and first-personal accounts of consciousness
in some conceptually utterly novel way?  Or do you anticipate that we
might just settle for a sufficiently rich articulation of "conscious
behaviours" as a closing of the conceptual account?

David