On 6/18/2012 10:34 AM, 1Z wrote:

On Jun 18, 6:03 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 6/18/2012 9:36 AM, 1Z wrote:

About nc-free-will, I have not any idea (yet?) about what it could mean. I tend
to agree
  >    with John on this.
  It seems pretty clear.  It's an ability to make decisions in a spirit realm
and have them
  implemented in the physical realm.
No: it;'s the ability to have made a difference but still rational
decision under the
same circumstances.
What does 'same circumstances' mean?  Does it mean the same physical state down
to the
lowest level, or does it just mean the same at the level of description of a
police report?

Brent

Good question. If you get very fine grained, then FW does start to
look random or even "contra
causal".  I think for FW to be feasible we need to mean external
circumstances but not internal
states. I call that the doughnut theory.

OK, that comports with my understanding that 'free will' is social/legal level concept just meaning roughly "not coerced", where there are degrees of coercion. And it basically a code phrase for assigning praise or blame. This is illustrated by the current debate over U.S. immigration policy. It seems wrong to deport people who were brought here as children - not of their free will - and have grown up as U.S. residents.