The siginficance is that this is one of the open problems of
Artificial Life:

@Article{Bedau-etal00,
  author =       {Mark A. Bedau and John S. McCaskill and Norman
  H. Packard and Steen Rasmussen and Chris Adami and David G. Green
  and Takashi Ikegami and Kinihiko Kaneko and Thomas S. Ray},
  title =        {Open Problems in Artificial Life},
  journal =      {Artificial Life},
  year =         2000,
  volume =       6,
  pages =        {363--376}
}

(or see http://www.alife.org/alife8/open-prob.html)

Only took 12 years. Oh well, 1 down, 13 more to go...

Cheers