Hi Russell Standish

I like this list I have just joined because of the excellent thinkers here,
who are already changing my view of what computers can do in AI.

The differences in our interpretations of AI and the possibility of computers
simulating life
is due to our different interpretations of what is meant by the word
"intelligence".
My own definition IMHO allows one to uyse the same definition for AI and for
life.

There is no generally agree-upon definition of intelligence. My own definition,
as I had stated, is that intelligence is the ability to make choices of one's
own.
Autonomous choices. Self determinations. This ability is IMHO essential for
life,
for one has to choose which direction to move all on one's own (Aristotle) ,
to separate good food from bad food, to separate friend from foe, etc.

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/7/2012 Is life a cause/effect activity  ?
If so, what is the cause agent ?