Perhaps I am wrong, but I have a problem with the concept of artificial
intelligence and hence artificial life-- at least according to my
understanding of what intelligence is.

As I see it, intelligence is the ability to make choices completely on
one's own. Autonomously.

Thus intelligence is simply self-determination of some issue. By
self-determination I don't
mean free will, athough that might be a possibility.The "self" could use
anything
in memory, (including current perceptions or awareness) or even anything
ever thought of.  Darwin tells us that
such choices must be mostly appropriate choices, but sometimes they might
occur mistakenly,
sometimes irrationally, or deceptively.  That is, to lie, deception being
quite common in nature.

But a computer program can only make choices that the programmer previously
allowed.
So in effect the choices are made by the computer programmer, The
programmer is
the puppet master.. But such a programmed "robot" cannot be conscious, for
there
is no self to be aware. There is only the presence of electrical signals,
which
are objective, but no subjectivity.
.

Thus one might "simulate" life, but one can never create life in a
computer.

Materialism has the same fatal defect, for it is completely objective,
and so cannot have a self, which is subjective, to be aware.