On 8/6/2012 10:31 AM, meekerdb wrote:
On 8/6/2012 1:22 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I agree. In fact denying God is a way to impose some other God. I don't think we can live more than one second without some belief in some God.

I disagree. We live very well just assuming 3-space and time and material bodies and people (including ourselves). That is what we all bet on and evolution has built into us. We may hypothesize different fundamental ontologies, but it's not necessary and it's certainly not necessary to *believe in* them.

Hi Brent,

You are almost making a good point! But I think that Bruno actually covers that with the claim that it is possible to believe in them. We need to carefully distinguish between necessity and possibility even though they are duals. As I see it, the choice of not believing a particular ontology leads to an actual choice of the current consensus ontology within which the chooser is embedded. This is the very same thing as the citizen that refuses to vote is actually voting for whoever the actual winner of an election turns out to be, because if ve <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ve_%28pronoun%29> had actually voted then ve could have voted for some other other than the eventual winner.

--
Onward!

Stephen

~ Francis Bacon