From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-12, 05:20:56
Subject: Re: A possible solution to the incomputability of experience

On 11 Aug 2012, at 13:22, Roger wrote:

Hi Stephen P. King

Personally I go with Roger Penrose and his conjecture that, as
I personally understand it, conscious experience is noncomputable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFbrnFzUc0U

Penrose is right, but with a wrong argument. The fact that consciousness is not
computable, nor even definable, is a consequence of mechanism. It does not
refute mechanism, it confirms it.

Bruno

Which is not to say that IMHO experience can be understood through
Leibniz's metaphysics of substances (using category theory).
IMHO, that's the only way.

?

Bruno

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net