On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Roger <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

 >how can they know if the calculation of pi is very precise if they
> don't really know beforehand what its precise value should be ?

But we do know the precise value of pi, 250 years ago Euler proved that pi
squared divided by 6 is EXACTLY equal to   the infinite series 1+ 1/2 + 1/4
+ 1/9 + 1/16 + 1/25 + 1/36 +1/49 +.......   Tell me how close to pi you
want to get and a finite number of terms in this sequence can help you
produce it.

  John K Clark