From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-23, 13:03:04
Subject: Re: What are monads ? A difficulty

Hi Roger,

    I like the idea that pure QM systems are the best example of a monad.

On 8/23/2012 11:14 AM, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Stephen P. King

Right. "The world is filled with monads"was just a way of saying things, just a
rhetorical phrase.

All physical things in the world are substances rather than monads.
If you can measure it, it's not a monad. If you can think of it, in
some cases (see below) it is a monad.

Monads are simply mental points in ideal space, which have a potential
driving force, such as the driving force of life (called entelechy).
A desire to realize its own potential. So monads can be said to be alive.

Monads have to be uniform substances that one could use as the
subject of a sentence.  As as thought of, as intended, with no parts.
Personally I
would correct that to say "no parts at the level of image magnification
intended."
This is one of the main difficulties in understanding Leibniz. If you think
of Socrates as a whole, not separately of organs, etc., that Socrates
would be a monad.  A monad has to be, as they say, "the whole
enchilada".

I would say thus that I am a monad, as are you.

Monads and snd the substances they refer to are infinite in variety.

Space and time are excluded from this as space and time separately are not in
spacetime.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
8/23/2012
could function."