From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-28, 12:19:50
Subject: No Chinese Room Necessary

This sentence does not speak English.
These words do not ‘refer’ to themselves.
s     l u     ,u     s

If you don't like Searle's example, perhaps the above can help illustrate that
form is not inherently informative.
The implication here for me is that comp is a red herring as far as
ascertaining the origin of awareness.

Either we view computation inherently having awareness as a meaningless
epiphenomenal byproduct (yay, no free will), or we presume that computation can
and does exist independently of all awareness but that a particular category of
meta-computation is what we call awareness.
Even with the allowances that Bruno includes (or my understanding of what Bruno
includes) in the form of first person indeterminacy and/or non comp contents,
Platonic number dreams, etc - all of these can only negatively assert the
completeness of arithmetic truth. My understanding is that G del (and others)
are used to support this negative assertion, and I of course agree that indeed
it is impossible for any arithmetic system to be complete, especially in the
sense of defining itself completely. I suspect that Bruno assumes that I don't
have a deep enough understanding of this, but I think that what understanding I
do have is enough to persuade me that this entire line of investigation is a
dead end as far as explaining consciousness. It only works if we assume
consciousness as a possibility a priori and independently of any arithmetic
logic.
Nowhere do I find in any AI/AGI theory any positive assertion of awareness. It
is not enough to say *that* awareness fits into this or that category of
programmatic interiority or logically necessary indeterminacy when the question
of *what* awareness is in the first place and *why* is has not been addressed
at all.
As I demonstrate in the three lines at the top, and Searle tried to
demonstrate, awareness does not follow automatically from a negative assertion
of computability. I bring up the example of cymatics on another thread.
Scooping salt into a symmetrical-mandala pattern does not conjure up an
acoustic vibration associated with that pattern. Qualia does not follow from
quanta.
Quanta, however, could and I think does follow from qualia as a method of
sequestering experiences to different degrees of privacy while retaining shared
sense on more primitive 'public' levels. These methods would necessarily be
construed as automatic to insulate crosstalk between channels of sense - to
encourage the coherence of perceptual inertial frames to develop unique
significance rather than to decohere into the entropy of the totality.

Does anyone have any positive assertion of consciousness derived from either
physics or arithmetic? Any need for actual feelings and experiences, for direct
participation?
Craig