I couldn't agree more, Stephen. Great post.

The most common forms of left and right really are different forms of the
same phenomenon. Statism, authority (whether of the state or of God or of
science or of the market), thinking in terms of enemies and supporters. The
difference is merely in relatively superficial political or religious
issues. Opress the rich or opress the poor? Believe in God or in the Great
Law of the universe? Belief in "free" markets or believe in a "social"
state? Belief in forcing people to be "social" or belief in forcing people
to adhere to societal norms?

(Obviously there are also people that consider themselves left or right to
whom not all of that or nothing applies to. I am just referring to the
majority.)

benjayk