On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:21:34 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:13:05 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
> >>
> >> On 9/5/2012 5:17 AM, Craig wrote:
> >>
> >> The test that I would use would be, as I have mentioned, to have
> someone
> >> be
> back
> >>

> >> How would that work?  The person would always respond to questions,
> like,
> >> "Do you feel any different?" in exactly the same way.  How would you
> tell
> >> whether they really felt the same or just said they did?
> >

> > It would work because the person responding to the questions would be
> you.
> > You would know what the experience of surviving the brain transfer was
> like.
> > That is how you can tell whether you really felt the same is by actually
> > feeling the same.
>
> But you couldn't realise you felt different if the part of your brain
> responsible for realising were receiving exactly the same inputs from
> the rest of the brain. So you could feel different, or feel nothing,
> but maintain the delusional belief that nothing had changed.

That's begging the question. You are assuming that the brain is a machine
which produces consciousness. I think that the brain is the three
dimensional shadow of many levels of experience and it produces nothing but
neurochemistry and alterations in our ability to access an individual set
of human experiences. The brain does not produce consciousness, it defines
the form of many conscious relations.

If you have one hemisphere of your brain downloaded into a computer, and
then live in the computer for a while and then upload it back into your
brain - if that were feasible then you would theoretically retain some of
the memory of your experience. You could then judge whether you remember it
as being unpleasant or different in some way, or if it was like Spock's
brain and you suddenly became a large facility without it really being an
issue.

Craig