On 9/5/2012 10:44 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:32:21 AM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

    On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com
<javascript:>>
    wrote:

    > I find that the least plausible explanation. It means that if a billion
    > people talk to each other and give each other information, that some kind
of
    > consciousness must necessarily arise as a side-effect. You could say that
it
    > might arise, but the idea that such a side effect is somehow necessary as
    > accomplish certain kinds of information processing is laughably romantic
    > my mind. If I recruit people to recruit people to all do math together,
then
    > a magical genie will appear. Necessarily. Because of behavior
modification.
    > Mm. Yeah. No ghost in the machine, but machine that runs on ghost
    > power...because...why?

    No, it doesn't mean that at all. If the billion people interact so as
    to mimic the behaviour of the neurons in a brain, resulting in the
    ability to (for example) converse in natural language, then the idea
    is that the billion-person brain would have consciousness. This
    consciousness would have nothing to do with the consciousness of the
    billion people producing it; I don't know what my neurons are doing
    and my neurons individually certainly don't know what I am doing.

You are confirming what I have said. You are saying that a billion people doing the appropriate computations on paper with pencils and erasers and telephones to talk to each other would create a magical personality that nobody would know about but nonetheless would be born into the universe as a thinking, feeling, eating, crapping being.

That's where the hypothetical breaks down. The BPB would not have a body to control or a world to interact with. Could it have dream? Maybe - but it would need a simulated world to interact with in order to have human-like consciousness.