On Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:52:11 AM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> On Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:32:21 AM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I find that the least plausible explanation. It means that if a billion
>> > people talk to each other and give each other information, that some
>> kind of
>> > consciousness must necessarily arise as a side-effect. You could say
>> that it
>> > might arise, but the idea that such a side effect is somehow necessary
>> as to
>> > accomplish certain kinds of information processing is laughably
>> romantic to
>> > my mind. If I recruit people to recruit people to all do math together,
>> then
>> > a magical genie will appear. Necessarily. Because of behavior
>> modification.
>> > Mm. Yeah. No ghost in the machine, but machine that runs on ghost
>> > power...because...why?
>>
>> No, it doesn't mean that at all. If the billion people interact so as
>> to mimic the behaviour of the neurons in a brain, resulting in the
>> ability to (for example) converse in natural language, then the idea
>> is that the billion-person brain would have consciousness. This
>> consciousness would have nothing to do with the consciousness of the
>> billion people producing it; I don't know what my neurons are doing
>> and my neurons individually certainly don't know what I am doing.
>>

> You are confirming what I have said. You are saying that a billion people
> doing the appropriate computations on paper with pencils and erasers and
> telephones to talk to each other would create a magical personality that
> nobody would know about but nonetheless would be born into the universe as
> a thinking, feeling, eating, crapping being.
>

> That's where the hypothetical breaks down. The BPB would not have a body
> to control or a world to interact with.  Could it have dream?  Maybe - but
> it would need a simulated world to interact with in order to have
> human-like consciousness.

So you have a Quintillion Person Brain+World instead. That just makes the
absurdity even more apparent. Now you have an invisible world conjured into
the ethers out of nothing but synchronized incantations. Maybe those
virtual people could form a Trillion Virtual Person Brain + WalMart and go
shopping in the meta-ethers?

Craig