On 9/16/2012 12:34 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
Craig,

You may want to look at

Galen Strawson, Selves: An Essay in Revisionary Metaphysics

He proves that selves exist. Interestingly enough he does it based on the materialist framework.

p. 11 “For the moment, though, the brief is to show that selves exist, and that they’re things or objects or ‘substances’ of some sort, and hence, given materialism, physical objects. One possibility is that there are in fact no better candidates for the title of ‘physical object’ than selves – even if there are others that are as good.”

p. 11 “This last suggestion is likely to strike many as obviously false, but this reaction may stem in part from a failure to think through what it is for something to be physical, on a genuine or realistic materialist view, and, equally, from a failure to think through what it is for something to be a thing or object.”

Evgenii
Dear Evgenii,

I disagree. Strawson does not "prove" or offer a proof here. He merely states an equality. TO prove that equality he must show that the necessary and sufficient condition of "selves" exists in (assuming materialism), "physical objects". I have read his papers, he fails.

--
Onward!

Stephen