Hi Stephen P. King

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/substance/

" Descartes believed in only TWO kinds of substance: material body, which is
defined by extension,
and mental substance, which is defined by thought, which, in this context, is
more or less equivalent to consciousness."
<snip>

" For Spinoza, there is only ONE substance, the existence of which is
demonstrated by a version of
the ontological argument, which is thought of as being both God and Nature."
<snip>

Leibniz was not satisfied by this conception of divine substance, at least in
part because it
confines God to what actually exists. For Leibniz, God contains within himself
all possibilities,
not just the actual world: this latter is just that maximal set of
possibilities that he has best reason to actualize.
Leibniz acknowledges created SUBSTANCES, though they are very intimately
dependent on God.
In the Discourse on Metaphysics, (Section 14), he says:

it is clear that created SUBSTANCES depend on God, who conserves them and
indeed who produces them
continuously by a kind of emanation, just as we produce our thoughts. (1998:
66)"

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/17/2012
so that everything could function."