On 9/17/2012 11:27 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
Do you mean that the meaning in a guided missile system happens as
 by-product of its development by engineers?

To me, it seems that meaning that you have defined in Mars Rovers
is yet another theory of epiphenomenalism.

And your quote and question are yet another example of "nothing
buttery" and argument by incredulity.

Brent

I am not sure if I understand you. I am not saying that I am right but I really do not understand you point. You say

"Consciousness and computation are given their meaning by their effecting actions in the world."

and it seems that you imply that this could be applied for a robot as well. My thought were that engineers who have design a robot know everything how it is working.

But they don't a robot, even one as simple as a Mars Rover perceives and acts on things the engineers don't know. A more advanced robot will also learn from experience and become as unpredictable as a person from the engineer's standpoint.

Brent

You comment suggests however that in the robot there is something else that has emerged independently from the will of engineers. I would be just interested to learn what it is. If you know the answer, I would appreciate it.