On 9/22/2012 6:29 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

It is part of what a machine is that we cannot know what we are
doing in building them, so human might as well build a conscious
machine without knowing it; except later, when the machine
complains or fight for its right. Comp is rather negative on the
idea of programming consciousness. We can only let consciousness
manifest itself, or not. Or we can copy intelligent machine,
partially or completely.

Then, I am afraid, comp is of no help to the AI community as it
seems cannot guide engineers on how to develop an intelligent
robot.

Evgenii

In the past, Bruno has said that a machine that understands
transfinite induction will be conscious.  But being conscious and
intelligent are not the same thing.

Brent

In my view this is the same as epiphenomenalism. Engineers develop a robot to achieve a prescribed function. They do not care about consciousness in this respect. Then consciousness will appear automatically but the function developed by engineers does not depend on it. Hence epiphenomenalism seems to apply.

Evgenii