Hi Bruno Marchal

I think we should only use the word "exists"  only when we are
referring to physical existence. Thus I can truthfully say,
for example, that God does not exist.
Wikipedia says, "In common usage, it [existence]
is the world we are aware of through our senses,
and that persists independently without them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence

On the other hand, Platonia, Plotinus, Plato, Kant and Leibniz,
take the opposite view or what is real and what exists. To them ideas
and other nonphysical items such as numbers or anything not extended in space,
anything outside of spacetime are what exist, the physical world out
there is merely an appearance, a phenomenon.  Following Leibniz,
I would say of such things that they live, since life has
such attributes.

So when we say that a man exists, we are speaking of the physical man.
But when we say that he lives, we are speaking of man as a mental or
living being.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/21/2012