On 21 Sep 2012, at 12:21, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

I think we should only use the word "exists"  only when we are
referring to physical existence.

Hmm.... That might aggravate the naturalist or materialist human penchant.

Thus I can truthfully say,
for example, that God does not exist.
Wikipedia says, "In common usage, it [existence]
is the world we are aware of through our senses,
and that persists independently without them."

But that points on the whole problem. With comp and QM, even when you observe the moon, it is not "really" there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence

On the other hand, Platonia, Plotinus, Plato, Kant and Leibniz,
take the opposite view or what is real and what exists. To them ideas
and other nonphysical items such as numbers or anything not extended in space,
anything outside of spacetime are what exist, the physical world out
there is merely an appearance, a phenomenon.  Following Leibniz,
I would say of such things that they live, since life has
such attributes.

Hmm... Then numbers lives, but with comp, only universal or Lobian numbers can be said reasonably enough to be living. You might go to far. Even in Plato, the Noùs content (all the ideas) is richer that its living part. I doubt Plato would have said that a circle is living. Life will need the soul to enact life in the intelligible.

So when we say that a man exists, we are speaking of the physical man.
But when we say that he lives, we are speaking of man as a mental or
living being.

The person and its body. OK. For the term "exist" I think we should allow all reading, and just ask people to remind us of the sense before the use.

With comp, all the exists comes from the "ExP(x)" use in arithmetic, and their arithmetical epistemological version, like []Ex[]P(x), or []<>Ex[]<>P(x), etc.

That gives a testable toy theology (testable as such a theology contains the physics as a subpart).