On 9/23/2012 3:42 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 22 Sep 2012, at 22:10, Stephen P. King wrote:

On 9/22/2012 7:32 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
How could mathematics be fiction ?
If so, then we could simply say that 2+2=5 because it's saturday.
How could we have a world we many minds can, on rare occasions, come to complete agreement if that where the case? Perhaps it is true that 2+2=4 because we all agree, at some level, that it is true. (I am not just considering humans here with the word "we"!)

How will you define "we" without accepting "2+2=4", given that IF we assume comp, "we" are defined by (Löbian) universal number and their relations with other universal numbers?

Why do you keep an idealist conception of numbers, which contradicts your references to papers which use, as most texts in science, the independence and primitivity of elementary arithmetic?

Or you remark was ironic?

The continued confusion of the symbols and what they represent makes this entire conversation an exercise in futility.