All these phisicalists considerations are extremely interesting, but we can not fall in the temptation to consider them an exhaustive notions of untimate Truth. These considerations take phenomenons as things occurring in the external reality, when really perceptions happens in the mind. In the mind resides all that we can know about reality. And the mind is not a neutral, objective device whose notion of existence is a yes/no switch. The human mind is a tool of survival for which existence is much wider than the phisical concept of existence. For humans the existence of the Moon is beyond doubt. What is debatable is the existence of water on it, or in the past, if it was made of Chess. Note that water and chess have survival values. Never anyone hoped that the moon was made of debris.

I just wanted to warm that at the human scale (considering man as the measure of things), considering what really is worth, phisical considerations have little importance when confronted with the concept of existence, meaning and truth. These concepts like others, are handled in our minds not by phisical, equational or logical considerations, but by survival values, most of the times unconsciously, and these survival values depend on how strong the social group becomes with these concepts (social capital). becaluse the mind creates the reality, we must study this reality of the mind, without pretending to reduce this to a physicalist simplifications, because, in this case, we would be out of syinc with the reality in which we live.

But there is no "The Mind", there are many minds; apparently at least one per brain. Physical reality is what minds can test and agree on. To study what minds can't agree on may be interesting, but I see no reason to call it "reality".

Brent
"We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality - judiciously, as you will - we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."
   --- Karl Rove, quoted by Ron Suskind, The New York Times, 17 October 2004