On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 9/26/2012 12:11 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

>>> Sure you can.  You point and say, "That!"  That's how you learned the
>>> meaning of words, by abstracting from a lot of instances of your mother
>>> pointing and saying, "That."
>>>
>>> Brent
>>>

>> There is still an implicitly assumed model that the two people are
>> operating under (if they agree on what is meant by the chair they see).
>>
>> Or they may use different models and define the chair differently.  For
>> example, a solipist believes the chair is only his idea, a physicalist
>> thinks it is a collection of primitive matter, a computationalist a dream
>> of numbers.
>>
>> Then while they might all agree on the existence of something, that thing
>> is different for each person because they are defining it under different
>> models.
>>

> But if they are different then what sense does it make to say there is a
> contradiction in *the* model and hence something doesn't exist.

It means a certain object (which is defined in a model) does not exist in
that model.  A model in one object is not the same as another object in a
different model, even if they might have the same name, symbol,
or appearance.  "2 in a finite field", is a different thing from "2 in the
natural numbers".  The "chair in the solipist model" is different from the
"chair in the materialist model".  A chair made out of primitively real
matter is non-existent in the solipist model.

I don't see how you can escape having to work within a model when you make
assertions, like X exists, or Y does not exist.  What is X or Y outside of
the model from which they are defined and exist within?

Jason

 That's why it makes no sense to talk about a contradiction disproving the