On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:55 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Say that you have been captured by the [totalitarian fiend of your choice],
> and are tied up in a basement somewhere. The torture has begun, and is has
> become clear that it will continue to get worse until you 'become one of
> them'.
>
> Fortunately you have been supplied by your team with a 'Chalmers' device,
> which allows you to know exactly what to say and do to convince your captors
> that you have turned and become 'one of them' in earnest. Using real-time em
> field sensitivity and quantum computing, the computational states are not
> only analyzed, but predicted for everyone in the room so that you are
> furnished with the best lines and gestures, sobbing, explaining, etc.
>
> The Chalmers device allows you to be a flawless actor. Is there any reason
> that this wouldn't work in theory? What law says that acting can only be so
> good, and beyond that you actually have to 'love Big Brother' in order to
> seem like you do? If we had a device that would allow us to control our
> bodies, emotions, and minds precisely and absolutely, why couldn't we use
> that device as a mask?

The perfect actor might believe it or he might just be acting. Acting
is top-down replacement, not bottom-up replacement. Bottom-up
replacement would involve replacing a part of your brain so that you
didn't notice any difference and no-one else noticed any difference.

> Part II
>
> Instead of replacing parts of the brain with perfect functional replicas,
> what if we used a hot wire to ablate or burn parts of the brain. If I burn
> one region, you lose the power of speech. If I burn another, you lose all
> understanding of physics and math. If I burn another, you go into a coma. I
> can do different combinations of ablation on different subjects, but would
> there be any case in which someone who was dead could be induced to speak or
> solve math problems? Why not? I could replace the motherboard of a burned
> out computer with any other compatible motherboard and expect to pick up
> right where I left off. If I toasted a critical part of any computer, there
> is no loss of potential functionality to any of the other parts, whether
> that part is implicated in the boot up process or not. Just because a
> computer won't boot doesn't mean that it can't be easily repaired. Not so
> with a living organism. If you blow out a simple power supply in a
> biological system, it will never run again - not even a little bit.
>
> What say ye?

Replacing body parts that break down with artificial ones is
well-established in the medical industry, and will become increasingly
so in future as the devices become more sophisticated.

--
Stathis Papaioannou