From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-27, 23:28:27
Subject: Re: Forget Zombies, Let's Talk Torture

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:05:20 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
On 9/27/2012 7:40 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
The perfect actor might believe it or he might just be acting. Acting
is top-down replacement, not bottom-up replacement. Bottom-up
replacement would involve replacing a part of your brain so that you
didn't notice any difference and no-one else noticed any difference.

Acting is an augmentation, not a replacement. It's a skill set. It involves a
capacity to embody social expectations so that one's audience doesn't notice
any difference. It's the same exact result from the third person view. An actor
is a zombie being operated by a person.

The idea is to replace parts so that there is no behavior difference *under any
circumstance* - acting, as you've conceived it, is limited to a particular
situation.

If you understand my thought experiment than you would realize that this is the
same thing. Just as a zombie arbitrarily asserts "no behavior difference *under
any circumstance*", my acting service does exactly the same thing. It is a high
technology simulation-prediction which augments rather than replaces the
existing nervous system. My concept of acting is *specifically unlimited* and
applies to all possible situations forever. That's what makes it a thought
experiment. You have to accept the premise of the thought experiment or else
explain why the premise is unworkable (as I have done repeatedly with the
zombie assumption).

Craig