Brent, I 'experienced' such situation in 1944 when the Nazi Gendarme's Pol.
Police arrested me on suspicion to be part of the underground anti-Nazis
(what was true). I made them 'believe' about being an at least 'neutral'
grad student so they asked questions before torture started. I was
'believable' so they gave me 3 days to "think about it" after which I was
released with an assignment to report about my friends (what I never did).
However later on the Commis accused me of having been a 'secret agent' for
the Nazis in 1944 and I had to 'makebilieve' (again) that non of it was
true. So, they, too, let me go. (I was 3 times in the confinement of the
Commis).
I was NEVER an actor. It was skills of survivor-pressure.
The rest may be the skill in Stathis' profession.
John M