On 9/27/2012 9:01 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:56:58 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

    On 9/27/2012 8:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

    On Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:05:20 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

        On 9/27/2012 7:40 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

            The perfect actor might believe it or he might just be acting.
            is top-down replacement, not bottom-up replacement. Bottom-up
            replacement would involve replacing a part of your brain so that you
            didn't notice any difference and no-one else noticed any difference.

        Acting is an augmentation, not a replacement. It's a skill set. It
involves a
        capacity to embody social expectations so that one's audience doesn't
        any difference. It's the same exact result from the third person view.
        actor is a zombie being operated by a person.

        The idea is to replace parts so that there is no behavior difference
*under any
        circumstance* - acting, as you've conceived it, is limited to a

    If you understand my thought experiment than you would realize that this is
    same thing. Just as a zombie arbitrarily asserts "no behavior difference
*under any
    circumstance*", my acting service does exactly the same thing. It is a high
    technology simulation-prediction which augments rather than replaces the
    nervous system. My concept of acting is *specifically unlimited* and
applies to all
    possible situations forever. That's what makes it a thought experiment.

    Then I would say it's not distinct from 'being'.  It is no longer a choice,
    going to act." motivated by some particular situation.

You would be wrong. Acting is like any other capacity or skill. You can always choose not to act, but in this example, if you choose to, then nobody can tell the difference. You can exhibit the behaviors of a zombie at your discretion.

If you can choose then ex hypothesi there is a circumstance in which you would choose not to act.